Yale University recognizes that individuals may wish to use preferred names rather than their legal names to identify themselves. Any student may designate a preferred first name for a variety of official university list and identification systems regardless of whether they have legally changed their name. Any staff/faculty member may designate a preferred full name for a variety of official university list and identification systems regardless of whether they have legally changed their name. To edit your existing preferred name, enter a new preferred name, or delete an existing preferred name you must do so in your system of record (Workday or Student Information System). For more information on this service, please visit: idcenter.yale.edu/faqs.
The instructions are:
- Log into the WorkDay
- Click the Personal Information worklet
- Click the down arrow within the Change window and select Preferred Name
- STOP AND READ THE INSTRUCTIONS PROVIDED AT THE TOP OF THE CHANGE MY PREFERRED NAME SCREEN, which are shown below:
- Create a preferred name below if you don’t already have one in Workday, then click Submit.
- Click your profile picture (or the cloud icon) on the upper-right corner of any Workday screen.
- Click View Profile (right below your name).
- Click the Personal tab.
- Click Add and select Name Type of “ID Card”.
- Enter an ID Card Name (first and last) that matches your Preferred Name, then click Submit/OK.
- Finally, visit an ID Center at Yale to obtain a new ID Card; more information can be found at: https://idcenter.yale.edu/.
Note: Staff are able to update their ID Card with preferred first name and last name at no cost beginning April 1, 2019 thru June 30, 2019.